[C320-list] Accessing holding tank vent

Edward Thompson edthompson3 at outlook.com
Mon Jun 18 14:58:48 PDT 2018

Three years ago after purchasing our 320 we noticed odor in the head which was apparently coming from the holding tank. After reading up on the possible causes and the experiences of 320 owners, I determined that our problem was most likely the thru hull vent being too small. I proceeded to pull out the medicine cabinet and everything else that was in the way and discovered that the vent hose from the holding tank was loosely attached to the thru hull vent. It immediately became clear to me that the holding tank was venting into the cabin! Everything that I read suggested that a larger thru hull vent was required. However, decided that I was not ready to go that far and thought that if I could just get the vent hose to fit tightly on the attachment to the thru hull vent it might fix the problem. So I proceeded to wrap some electrical tape around the thru hull vent fitting and then reattached the vent hose tightly and secured the hose clamp. Thankfully, we haven't had an odor problem since. I hope this info helps.

Ed Thompson
Bellavia Hull # 739 - 2000 year
Wells Cove Marina - Kent Narrows, MD