[C320-list] Looking to add a second bilge pump

danny jensen danny at jensenshouse.com
Sun Jun 24 16:35:14 PDT 2018

Pics of project involving alarm, counters and secondary bilge. I mainly
used people in this group for ideas so none of these ideas are my own. Just
do next, next next to see all the pics. You should read the .pdf

https://c320.org/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20141020141554767

Here is the project scope from the pdf
BACKGROUND: I often single hand my boat as much as 20 miles off shore.  I
currently have an electric diaphragm 5 GPM Jabsco pump and a 28 GPM Whale
manual pump.  If I’m driving the boat , it is not likely I would notice a
big leak until it was too late. If I did have a big leak in the boat, my
current electric pump would not be able to keep up and it would not be
possible for me to operate the manual pump *and* fix the leak at the same
time.  An independent $50 high water bilge alarm in the cockpit would alarm
me at sea and my dock neighbors while on docked that my primary pump is not
able to keep up with my pumping capacity. It is often the case that leaks
occur over a long period of time and go unnoticed because automatic bilge
pumps pump the evidence overboard.  This evidence pumped overboard is often
an indication that some maintenance is necessary. Pump cycle counters give
you issue recognition.  A pump counter costs under $50 and is relatively
easy to install. My existing 5 GPM pump works great at removing almost all
water from the bilge.  Installing a high capacity secondary pump with an
independent float switch would provide for backup of my primary pump.  The
backup pump should almost never cycle. Required Reading: All About Bilge
Pumps by David H. Pascoe, Marine Surveyor
http://marinesurvey.com/yacht/bilge_pumps.htm

Requirements:
1. Install an high water alarm under locker in cockpit
 a. The high water alarm will have an independent switch level above the
primary pump switch.
 2. Install an electric bilge counter on my current primary electric pump
so I will know when the primary pump has been cycling. This will give me
advance information about any leaks I may have before they become big leaks.
3. Install high water  submersible Rule 3700 as secondary high water  pump
a. Switch and pump will be slightly higher than existing. Build a starboard
bilge shelf to suspend new pump and high water switch.
b. Install new 1.5 inch hose and new through hull.  No check valves will be
used.
 c. Wire high water pump/alarm  to battery via an existing 24hr fuse box
already feeding my Xantrex battery monitor independent of my battery
switch.  I will use a heat shrink connectors with terminal blocks dipped in
liquid electrical tape to make the new pump terminations.  My bilge is very
dry all the time thanks to gortex packing material Parts

Schematic
http://www.mammothcondos.com/Catalina-320-bilge-pump-electrical-schematic-v1.pdf

Pdf of entire project
https://c320.org/mediagallery/download.php?mid=20141021083025421