[C320-list] Dripless shaft???

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Wed Jun 27 07:28:12 PDT 2018

Agreed Joe.

What caused me to switch back from the PSS (unvented) to conventional stuffing box with GFO was that they both helped achieve the same goal of a no water coming in through the prop shaft.  I found the PSS (unvented) to be more work, slightly less dry because of the burping process and I was tired of the graphite mist/dust staining the bilge.

PYI sent me a new vented PSS Shaft seal graphite block for free and encouraged me to replace the old one because they had documented failures with the unvented model.  I didn't really want to deal with venting hoses and the like (not that they are terribly risky), just felt it was unnecessarily complicated when I could get the job done better with GFO and the maintenance is easier with fewer failure points.

So for me, it wasn't that I didn't trust PSS or was afraid of it, it just didn't do the job quite as well as GFO does.  I was quite happy with my PSS when I had it.  I'm just happier now.  :)

-Jeff Hare