[C320-list] ENGINE SPACE VENTING

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Wed Mar 14 16:35:21 PDT 2018

Not to be critical of anyone's answers, because it's great to bounce these thoughts around to help refine your logic, but seriously don't over-think this.

The engine doesn't need cool ambient air to keep it cool, that's what the raw water heat exchanger is all about. Otherwise they would not put it in an insulated box with a couple lengths of dryer hose.  It also doesn't need any duct work to feed it air to run because there are SO many better paths for hull-cooled bilge air to get into the engine that it's simply a non-issue.

If you really believe that the blower reduces the heat in the aft cabin with the stock hoses, awesome, but it really doesn't.  No way you're moving that much heat out through those crinkled half crushed hoses with our anemic blower. LOL!  You'd have to run the blower till the engine block cools down quite a bit to make any real difference or it'll just reheat the air again.  By then someone sharing the mooring field with you would have launched a torpedo at your boat because of all the racket that thing produces.

If you really want to help remove any excess aft cabin heat, I'd suggest that you open the aft cabin access door at the foot of the bed and aft cockpit locker above the fridge compressor and let convection take over.  If you really wanted to use hoses for some reason, you'd need 4" smooth wall hoses that have fewer bends and a more powerful blower to actually get any reasonable airflow.

I'm pretty certain that the blower and the hoses were only installed to satisfy outdated requirements for a bilge blower (which diesels are exempt from now in the US anyway).

Cheers!
#809   stay'n hoseless  :)
-Jeff Hare