[C320-list] Drilling stern rails

Catalina Catalina at thehares.com
Sun May 6 04:23:15 PDT 2018

Yes I did that on ours.  I remember making heavy and repeated use of the profanasaurus on that project. :-)
Don't have time to go into all the details right now but a few points.
You will need cobalt drill bits to avoid work-hardening the stainless from heat while drilling. One of them will have to be pretty long.
The bases of the stanchions are not drilled.
Neither are the places where the horizontal pipes meet the verticals.
I rate this as one of the hardest projects I've done.  And we use them but not nearly as much as I expected I would.
I had to replace them 2 years ago.
Jeff Hare
-------- Original message --------From: Troy Dunn <troutwarrior at gmail.com> Date: 5/5/18  6:17 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: C320-List at catalina320.com Subject: [C320-list] Drilling stern rails
Has anyone actually drilled their stern rails in order to install speakers
beneath the princess seats?  I will be doing this modification and I’m
wondering if the base at the deck  already has an opening centered on the
vertical post or if I’ll be drilling stainless at the base.  Seems like it
will be solid,  but kinda hoping it isn’t.

Troy Dunn
Hull #514
S/V Wonky Dog