[C320-list] Wind Instrument Malfunction

Cliff Lee rcliffordlee at gmail.com
Thu May 10 13:22:16 PDT 2018

We just went out for our check-out sail.  No problems except that our wind
direction and wind speed are not working right.  The anemometer and
masthead vane are moving.  The wind speed display is active.  When we turn
it on, the wind direction "jiggles" and seems to read correctly for a few
seconds.  The wind speed also displays a value.  After 2-3 seconds, the
wind direction drops to zero degrees and the wind speed freezes at a
constant value.  I believe we have an Autohelm ST50 system.  I tried to
check whatever connection I could find, including the connections inside
the binnacle display housing and at the nav station.  I temporarily removed
the fuse on the Nac/Com switch, and that made things go haywired till I
reconnected.  Any ideas?  I'm no electrician.

Thanks,
Cliff Lee
Comfort Zone - 1994 Hull 268