[C320-list] Boat Insurance Policy.... Rates ???

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed May 16 04:11:59 PDT 2018

Art, rates can vary from carrier to carrier by quite a bit, and affected by where and how you use your boat. I pay about $500/yr with a mid-Atlantic regional carrier; but, coverage is limited to the Chesapeake Bay and a few miles offshore. Some companies whose main lines are home, auto, liability may offer boat coverage as a competitive necessity, often using a different underwriter. Some coverage may include the dinghy, some not. On the East Coast, "named storm" considerations enter the picture. Bottom line: I don't think you can draw any conclusions based solely on rates. Often, you don't get the whole picture with just a quote and no details. Try to get the proposed contract to understand the terms.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, MD (Chesapeake Bay)