[C320-list] Keeping the v-berth aired

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Thu May 17 03:39:27 PDT 2018

I guess this isn't an issue if you keep your boat somewhere that is pretty much permanently warm, or indeed if you keep it plugged in to shore power with AC running.

But here in the cold UK (much the same as Canada and Alaska at times!) we don't fit AC as there are only about two days in the year when it might be needed!

So I have an issue in that the v-berth always seems a little bit colder than the rest of the boat and slightly damp. I guess this is because it has a relatively low volume of air for a comparatively high surface area of hull, much of which is under water of course!

So I was wondering about trying to fit some form of forced ventilation. maybe a couple of large computer type fans powered by a small solar panel.  We always remove the bulkhead panels when we leave the boat unattended for more than a few days - in fact if it’s just the Admiral and me we leave them out all the time we are aboard.

Just wondering if I am wasting my effort -  the amount of air circulated is probably quite minimal, and if i fit a bigger fan then there is a battery depletion issue.

Anyone ever trued to tackle this, or is it simply not an issue?

Graeme
#366, ‘Jaskar’ 1996,  Falmouth, UK