[C320-list] High Output Alternators

Joe Luciano jnluciano at comcast.net
Fri Nov 23 15:31:32 PST 2018

I have the Balmar high output alternator as well on my Yanmar 3YM30.  I don’t recall it it’s a 90 or 100 amp unit, but the important thing is the 3 stage voltage regulator to provide much better charging for deep cycle batteries.  I did this upgrade soon after purchasing my 2005 C-320.  A single belt solution is really the only practical option for my engine configuration as a multi belt solution is simply too big for the engine compartment.  I have tried a number of different belts, and get less slippage with the toothed type belts than the smooth belts.  It is also important to align the sheeves to minimize the dusting of the belt.  I use washers for alignment purposes.  I typically get 4-5 seasons on a belt and typically change them early just to be on the safe side.  It all works well for me.  As I said, it was my only real option.

Joe Luciano
Second Wind
2005 Catalina 320

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 23, 2018, at 2:12 PM, Larry Frank <WindSwept at stx.rr.com> wrote:
>
> I just reread my post.  It is not the ³original².  Just the same part
> number. 23 years on a fan belt is just a little too long.
>
>> On 11/23/18, 4:08 PM, "Larry Frank" <WindSwept at stx.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> WindSwept has a 100 AMP Balmar driven by the original Westerbeke belt.  I
>> monitor the belt tension and get some dusting, but have never had a
>> problem.  I did put a slightly larger diameter pully on the alternator
>> which may help to give the belt a better grip.
>>
>>> On 11/22/18, 10:58 PM, "Gerald Rouillard" <pearson39b at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Now that I have access to some Catalina 320 focused experience, I want to
>>> solicit advice on a couple of issues that I've been wrestling since I
>>> bought it this past summer.  The first one is the alternator arrangement
>>> I inherited.
>>>
>>> Wind Song is Westerbeke powered with a Powermax, 125 amp High Output
>>> Alternator.  It's driven  by a single belt, and that causes me some
>>> concern.  On a previously owned boat, I had upgraded my 30 HP Yanmar to a