[C320-list] HIgh Output Alternators

Gerald Rouillard pearson39b at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 23 18:25:34 PST 2018

Thanks Larry and Troy.  I'm starting to feel more comfortable about this single belt issue.

The Powermax unit did come with its own regulator, so I'm guessing it has the battery and temperature sensing functions Troy mentions.  I'm also using a flooded battery bank, which puts me in his more-forgiving-category.

Re-reading the installation instructions, I also note they make a big deal out of making sure you have good belt tension - a point I'm not sure we fully appreciated with the previous, Yanmar installation.

During this discussion, yet another consideration occurred to me.  The Yanmar problem might have been exacerbated by the additional load of the belt-driven, raw-water pump, which is not a factor with the Westerbeke and its mechanically driven pump.  Not sure how much that additional load might have contributed, but it is suspect at this point.

Definitely going to monitor the belt wear next year, but my worry factor is diminishing..

Regards,
Sailor Jerry

Sent from my iPad