[C320-list] High Output Alternators

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Mon Nov 26 11:48:00 PST 2018

Some clarification needed there.  Whether you'll get significant current and for how long on an *externally* regulated high output alternator mostly depends on your batteries, not the alternator.

We have a AmpTech 125se alternator with a Balmar MaxCharge regulator hooked up to a set of paralleled Lifeline AGMs.  It's not uncommon for us to see 90-110A for over a half hour when we've been on the hook for a few days when running the engine at 1500RPM or so.  If we had normal flooded batteries (golf carts or 4Ds), I wouldn't expect them to accept this level of current for anywhere near that long before dropping to 50a or less.  They'll just take much longer to fully recharge because of their chemistry.

We simply use a high quality Gates Green Stripe belt and change it each spring.  The old one becomes the spare. The belts are like $10.

-Jeff