[C320-list] Helm instruments

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 1 16:52:32 PDT 2018

Hi Chuck:

It's a tough decision. I've used Raymarine, too, on my previous sailboats
and liked them.

However, I'm tempted to give a tablet with Open CPN a try for a couple of
months. I was hoping there was an owner who had done this before me. If it
doesn't work out, I can always use the tablet for movies, etc.

Two pods seems like a lot, especially because I also have a pod for the
Yanmar instruments. I gotta have somewhere to see!

Hard to believe I once sailed a 19-foot sailboat all through the Florida
Keys with nothing but a handheld compass, a pair of binoculars and two
foldable charts the size of gas station maps. (Remember those?)

Have you considered shooting the new transducer through the hull? Get a
piece of PVC pipe with a cap and glue it to the bottom of the hull forward
with an adhesive sealant. Clear flashing sealant from DAP for roofs works
great.

Anyhow, you fill the pipe with non-toxic coolant (not the regular stuff),
like you put in water systems for the winter, drop in the transducer and
screw down the cap, leaving a small hole for the wire to get through.

On my Bristol 30, which had a much thicker hull than the 320, it could read
depths to about 200 feet instead of the usual 400. (Where I live, most water
is less than 20 feet deep, so it doesn't matter ...)

Some sailors prefer this because it means on less hole in the bottom.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay