[C320-list] Keel bolt torque from Catalina Support.

Joe Luciano jnluciano at comcast.net
Tue Oct 2 09:32:50 PDT 2018

I have worked in oil refineries for 35 years where the torquing of bolts is a routine practice.  The key problem associated with torquing any bolts is friction.  The bolts and nuts have to be clean and well lubricated to get any kind of accuracy or repeatability in the torque value.  This requires nut removal cleaning of the threads, application of a thread lubricant and reassembly before torquing.  Stainless steel bolts tend to be soft and can gall quite easily when applying torque.  This is all very difficult to control in a bilge with keel bolts.  My experience with an older boat is that the nuts won’t even move.....

Joe
Second Wind - 2005 C-320

Sent from my iPhone