[C320-list] Size of Stuffing tube nut?

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 14:42:43 PDT 2018

 The 2 wrench set (for 1 7/8 inch nuts on boats with 1 inch shafts) from Catalina Direct is $87https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/3048/stuffing-box-wrench-set-1-78.cfm
The 15 inch crescent wrenches I bought at Harbor Freight were $15 eachhttps://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf%2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=15+%22+crescent+wrench  I will admit   they are bulkier, but have worked perfectly (saving +$50) if you work patiently.  Catalina Direct says crescent wrenches are too wide, especially with regard to fitting the narrow lock nut.  I have not had a problem.
Dave Hupe
1994 Cat 320 "Mayan Sun" (#32)
Holland  MI