[C320-list] Fragile water lines

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Tue Oct 23 13:53:43 PDT 2018

I'd tend to agree that Jabsco is lower end.  With that said, our head will
be going into its 18th season next spring.  Teen age girls and all.  It is
all stock from the factory, never had a rebuild and still pumps smoothly and
easily.  We only use fresh water flush, always have and tend to use a lot of
water.  We also occasionally drop in a table spoon or two of canola oil and
run the pump twice when we're leaving the boat. We use an enzyme head
treatment to keep the good bacteria growing (even though the oil may tend to
counter that somewhat). We oversized the hull vent & hose for better tank
ventilation. In the winter, we run a gallon of RV Antifreeze through it and
pump that out and it is super smooth operating in the spring.

I'll say that if you find that it pumps really hard, that's a sign that you
need to lubricate it.  Just using it like that will likely cause the rubber
seals to break down and wear extra fast.

We do have a head rebuild kit on board that we figured we'd need to install
about 7 or 8 years ago, but there's been no reason to.

-Jeff Hare