[C320-list] 320 speed

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 30 18:02:55 PDT 2018

Hello all:

I continue to be impressed with the speed and seakindliness of the 320.

We did our shakedown cruise this past weekend, just a few days to seek out problems (of which we found a few ...).

It was a 21-mile trip across Tampa Bay from west to east, ending up at an uninhabited island off Tampa. The winds were in the 20s and gusting to 30 from the SW, making it a broad reach under 135 jib.

Well, we did the 21 miles in 3 hours and 20 minutes, hitting 8 knots at times and almost never below 6 knots.

There was a short, steep bay chop, but the boat handled it well, better than I expected. These were conditions that prompted several members of our cruising club to delay their departures for a day.

I suspect I’ve gone from having the slowest boat in the club, a Bristol 30, to one of the fastest.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320, no. 528
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay