[C320-list] Freedom 20 charger/invertor

Jeff Smith jeffreyssmith at live.com
Sat Sep 1 05:53:24 PDT 2018

Dave,

A few questions for you. I have the Newmar 30Amp ferro-resonant charger and there was a static discharge close by that blew the DC output fuse inside the charger. I am waiting on a new fuse (5 more weeks), but contemplated an upgrade to the Promariner 30Amp.

  1.  Why did you go 40-amp instead of the 30-amp? Do you have to step down from 50-amp service or do you still use 30-amp service?
  2.  Did you have to mount new studs for the Promariner? My Newmar is installed in the aft, starboard locker on the wall that is effectively behind the galley.
  3.  The Promariner mentioned a common bus bar. Is it hard to run the ground wire to the common bus bar? Did you install this wire? I can only find one thing that looks as if it meets this definition, and it is under my port settee.

Thanks for any help. I am trying to remain patient and wait on the fuse to come. I am not positive that was the problem with my charger, but after the static discharge, my AC side worked but I was not receiving an DC output. However, I have been told that the old chargers are much worse on batteries than the new chargers, so maybe I should just bite the bullet.

Jeff