[C320-list] ST60 Replacing ST50 Instruments?

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 13 10:45:28 PDT 2018

My 1994 boat has the ST50 instruments.  A friend with a 2000 Cat320 has just upgraded all of his instruments to i50/i60 along with a new chartplotter, and gave me his ST60 instruments and transducers (still working fine).  Replacing my existing instruments and transducers with these will effectively update my system by 6 years.
Has anyone gone through replacing their ST50 with ST60?  Can I do this "easily" by using the existing wiring (my existing instruments are sort of "hard-wired"; whereas, all of the ST60 instruments have individual male connectors)?
Can I disconnect the wiring couplers of my "hard-wired" existing instruments, cut into the feed wires coming into my instrument cluster, expose individual existing wires, and add crimp terminals to connect to the ST60 instruments?  Are wire colors different?
The ST60 masthead unit seems like it will screw right onto my existing ST50 masthead transducers mount.  Any problems that anyone knows about?
Dave Hupe
1994 Cat 320 "Mayan Sun" (#32)
Holland, MI