[C320-list] Wintering in Norfolk.

Edward Thompson edthompson3 at outlook.com
Sat Sep 15 07:48:01 PDT 2018

Pat: I don't know a lot about the Norfolk area but I am familiar with South Jersey. I would strongly recommend that you plan to stop at Cape May before heading further south. Although it is not a real popular area for sailboats as it is a big power boat and fishing center, Cape May is a beautiful place. You might consider getting a slip at Utsch's Marina and staying for a few days. The town of Cape May is on the National Register of Historic Places and is the oldest sea resort in the country. There is a lot of Victorian architecture and many fine restaurants. From there you can sail down the coast passing the Delmarva Peninsula but there aren't many good places for a sailboat to pull in before getting to mouth of the Chesapeake and then Norfolk. You might want to consider heading up the Delaware Bay from Cape may to the Chesapeake and Delaware (C&D) Canal then head over to the Chesapeake Bay and then south down to Norfolk. There are many great towns and anchorages that you can stop at on the Chesapeake. You'll be making this trip at the best time of year for sailing on the Chesapeake and I encourage you to take that route. Good luck and I hope you have a safe and enjoyable cruise.

Ed Thompson
Bellavia Hull #739