[C320-list] Bilge pump question/observation

Stephen scox at pcug.org.au
Sat Sep 15 13:44:19 PDT 2018

My MK2 came with a Rule 1100.

The Jabsco would seem more appropriate to pump out the shower sump than the bilge with that capacity. I think your Jabsco was way undersized and question why you would use an 800 gph pump when a bigger pump will fit.

I have fitted a complete 2nd pump, a Johnson L2200, with it's own independent water level switch set a little higher than the smaller pump to act as a backup and emergency pump.  I have fitted both pumps with screw on hose connections that need no tools to remove or connect as well as plugs and sockets on the wiring.  I also have a complete ready to go replacement for each pump.

Overkill?  Perhaps.  You may care to read
http://www.whsyc.org/Flooding/Flooding.html before dismissing my approach though.

You could also consider the following scenario:

Your caught in big lumpy seas on a lee shore with water coming in from somewhere when your pump goes out.  How confident are you of quickly finding the replacement pump, removing the hose clamps and hoses, disconnecting the wiring, replacing the hoses and clamps and making good electrical connections while being tossed all around?  Who is steering in these tumultuous seas while you do the replacing?

Won't happen to you?  Perhaps not, who can tell?

Stephen Cox
Tegwen 1141