[C320-list] Seeking tip on fuel filter

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Fri Sep 21 13:35:29 PDT 2018

We have found that the only way we're ever able to separate the filter and bowl from the top and bottom parts of the element is to use rubber strap wrenches.  When you do put the filter element back on the filter be sure to grease the top parts with a quality grease.  I'm not a huge fan of O-Ring grease here because it is sticky. Just some lithium grease (or whatever we have on hand) is what we use.

Remember, this isn't a high fuel flow engine.  Whatever you decide, is whatever you decide because there's just no modern discussion to be had with some of those "yanmar experts" that aren't closely tied into the factory.  They will insist they know better than all the other yanmar experts.  :-)  I'm not a Yanmar Expert. :-)

But in all honesty, I think the answer on filter size here is "it depends".

I believe it depends on the risk you have of getting junk fuel or whether you always have access to high quality fuel.  Whether your sailing environment and tank venting situation lends itself to condensation or not (hence debris buildup).  Whether you use a lot of fuel or fill up once a season.  Whether you use an appropriate amount of biocide (many marine stations have additives already), Etc...

We typically run 2 micron filters on both the Racor and the engine.  If I were to go up a 5 micron anywhere, I'd go up a size on the engine mounted one.  Were I to get a clog underway, I KNOW I only have to change the Racor and won't need to touch the engine mounted one because anything that slips past the 2micron filter is going to be burned or pumped back to the tank.

Had a guy at the boat show last year tell me he swears by using a 30 micron filter in the primary and a 5 or 10 micron on the engine, I sort of laughed out loud at that. :-) (I know it wasn't nice.)  So, ya got a great big screen holding back the leaves and branches as your primary but passing all the mud and sand through to the tiny engine mounted filter.  I wonder which one is going to clog first...and again...and again?  Remember, they don't clog at the dock or when you're having a glorious afternoon sail.  They clog when it's rough out and you have to use your engine.

Maybe a 2 micron filter is too fine for larger engines with high recirculation fuel flow and undersized filters, I just don’t know.  But the last few times I went in to get fuel filters from the Yanmar Dealer they've looked up my engine S/N and given me 2 micron filters and didn't even need to ask.  So for whatever that's worth.  Same thing at the John Deere dealer for my diesel tractor.  2 micron.

Just my $.02
-Jeff