[C320-list] Seeking tip on fuel filter

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 24 08:22:20 PDT 2018

Hello all:

So, a last, unexpected chapter to the Racor 215 fuel filter story:

I get the new filter assembly by UPS, and damned if the filter is not stuck
on every bit as hard as the old filter! This apparently is done at the
factory!

My conclusion now is that the filter I removed from my boat was indeed the
original one that somehow lasted 20 years. (The diesel has only 560 hours on
it.)

I gave up doing it myself and had the bright idea of bringing it to my car
mechanic. It took him 15 minutes to take apart the fuel filter assembly with
his vast collection of tools and vices. His half-serious conclusion: Racor
super-glued the unit together at the factory.

So buyer beware, although I personally don't know of any filters from other
companies that would fit into the small space allotted on the 320.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay