[C320-list] Recommendations on helm instruments

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 30 19:20:05 PDT 2018

Hello all:

I’m a good way through the refit on my new-to-me 320, so I’m starting to think about helm instruments and wondering what people on the list recommend.

I now have an old B&G pod with a functional depth/speed instrument and a dead wind gauge. The wind instrument will disappear when I get the boat rerigged (I’m old-fashioned). Some of what I’m considering:

* A Navpod with pre-cut holes for a Raymarine depth sounder, EV-100 autopilot and Axiom 7 chartplotter.

* Some type of waterproof tablet and Open CPN, which I have on my phone and really like. A big question here is how to mount the tablet. I might be able to keep the B&G pod with depth instrument and alter it to accept the autopilot instrument.

* Buy a Raymarine Dragonfly chartplotter/fishfinder, which is an intriguing alternative. This can be inexpensively mounted on the pedestal. The remaining question would be how to mount the autopilot and depth sounder.

Each seems to have its advantages and disadvantages.

In some ways, the Axiom seems to be overkill for what I need. It’s big selling point is networking, but that’s overkill for what I need. Also, I don’t want to lose everything if the Axiom dies.

I like the simplicity of the tablet, but don’t want it sliding all over the cockpit and eventually going overboard.

The Dragonfly has Navionics charts, which means paying for them forever. Also, it has button control instead of touch screen and a smaller display.

Any ideas and recommendations?

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.