[C320-list] Afterguys

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Sun Apr 7 18:14:02 PDT 2019

I don't use a spinnaker at all on my 320 so I might be missing
something. But in younger days (back in the 1970s and 80s) I did a lot
of racing on masthead boats with full symmetrical spinnakers, separate
sheets and guys, extra winches and crew to handle those, etc. Based on
that experience I would say that there were two advantages to using
separate guys and a lot of disadvantages. The advantages were (1) you
didn't need twings (tweaks?), and (2) you could do a dip-pole gybe,
which was easier on a big boat than an end-for-end. The disadvantages
were the extra string and blocks and winches and crew needed. Also that
you had a lazy guy weighing down the clew of the spinnaker (a big
disadvantage in light air). I don't think there was any real advantage
of the lazy-guy setup regarding loads. After all, once powered up you
were still only loading one line on each side of the boat. Why do you
think that afterguys would help with loads in a big wind? Modern
low-stretch lines certainly can bear the loads, and the required turning
blocks would be no different than what you have now. But maybe I'm not
understanding what you have in mind.

Scott Thompson