[C320-list] Water in bilge issue: 1995 Catalina 320

Clay Carter fclaycarter at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 17 16:54:12 PDT 2019

Just purchased a used 1995 in what appears to be in good condition.  Before purchase, owner disclosed that the fiberglass aqua muffler had once failed filling the shallow bilge and cabin sole with water.  I found the sole screws removed and pulled up for inspection.  All of the compartments of the bilge still had some water, as well as the settee compartments as well.  The bilge "pan" appears to hold the bulk of any water from the shaft packing gland, but I have noticed this bilge pan also has some 3/4" to 1" holes drilled in it for various wiring, and some holes for unknown purposes.  The water in the bilge pan from the muffler failure clearly also made it into these holes and now is somewhere down below the bilge pan.  I have no idea how much water is down there or how to get it out if it still exists.  Does anybody have experience with this issue?  Should I be concerned?  Thanks for any input.
“Be kind,for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” ~Plato