[C320-list] Water in bilge issue: 1995 Catalina 320

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 18 17:34:59 PDT 2019

 Remove your stairs and lift the floor boards so the aft-most shallow bilge area in front of the engine is exposed.  I was able to use a small diameter hose put down into the hole exposed on the aft wall of that bilge and  manually pump to get water out from  the gridwork. This hole is supposed to have a pipe that extends under the engine from the packing gland area to take water that may leak there and direct it to the bilge.  I have no pipe there, so the hole is open.  If you have the pipe (which is supposed to be sealed into the hole opening), then this hole may not be accessible for you to pump from.
I had lots of leaks when I first bought my boat in 2017 that fed the gridwork (including seeps from the packing gland that didn't feed straight to the bilge).  I've since eliminated all the leaks (and control the packing gland seep rate) and thus have a bone dry bilge/grid.
Dave Hupe
'94 Cat 320 (hull #32) "Mayan Sun"
Holland, MI