[C320-list] Leak at Instrument Pod Support Tubes

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 27 05:32:11 PDT 2019

Thanks Graeme -
Do you remember if the deck is solid fiberglass where the tubes attach (hopefully not cored)?
Dave

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sat, Apr 27, 2019 at 8:17 AM, Graeme Clark<cg at skyflyer.co.uk> wrote:   Dave

I had the same problem and took the opportunity to try and fix it whilst installing a new instrument pod which necessitates removing and extending the steel hoop that it is attached to that bolts to the floor
My memory on the precise fixing arrangements is hazy but I seem to recall that the brackets are just screwed into the deck and not thru bolted
There is then a large hole in side of the bottom of the stainless tube into which the horizontal bolt of the bracket locates. It’s a short bolt so you don’t end up clamping any cabling in the tube!
The biggest job for me was thoroughly cleaning off all the silicone and mastic that the previous owner had slapped over everything to try and stop the leak
I then rebedded using butyl and so far all has been good
However there are other area (especially when sailing in the rain!) that allow water into the binnacle and from there it drains into the box I. The aft cabin that protects the steering gear
I decided to accept that but drilled a small hole in the he aft cabin wall a bit lower than the existing one to act as a drain. I painted the inside of this hole with epoxy When I replaced the box I used butyl between its aft face and the aft cabin wall
Now any water that gets through will drain through the aft cabin wall and run down into the bulge
Hope this helps
Graeme
#366, 1996

Sent from mobile: please excuse typos etc.!