[C320-list] Winch rebuild

Chuck Mueller katchu at chartermi.net
Sat Apr 27 15:15:46 PDT 2019

Those are Lewmar winches, and Lewmar has very good information online.  The
two gear sets at the base of the winch are held in with vertical spindle
pins.  The pins are under a plastic drum washer at the base of the main
winch stem.  Note that the pin cap has one side that is flat so that it fits
against the stem.  It's possible that is just jammed, but both pins should
come out relatively easy.   Once the pins are out, the gear sets should
slide out.  If you are removing the pins, and still not able to get the gear
set out, then I am also stumped.  You should not need to remove the winches
to get at those gears, pawls, and springs.  I don't have a MK II, but I
can't imagine that it came from the factory with the winch set down into a
well where the gears could not be removed.  Those are regular maintenance
items.

When you do get it apart use grease sparingly on the gears, but make sure
that you only use oil on the springs and pawls.
Chuck Mueller
Northwind
Holland, MI

Message: 5