[C320-list] Winch Rebuild

Tom Grass tgrass462 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 08:28:59 PDT 2019

Want to update everyone with current status.  Last night I sent an e-mail
to Catalina Yachts with a summary of my situation regarding the winches.
This morning I received the following e-mail:

Warren Pandy <warren at catalinayachts.com>
6:28 AM (3 hours ago)
to me

Hello Tom,

Yes, your thought is correct in that the bolts holding the winches to the
deck go into a 3/8” thick 6061 T-6 Aluminum backing  plate that is glassed
to the underside of the deck.    If there is conflict with Catalina molded
deck in servicing the winch, it may be necessary to remove the winch to
complete the service.  If you have any questions, feel free to call
727-544-6681

Best,

Warren Pandy

Then I called Warren... we spent 45 minutes on my issue specifically and on
Catalina Yachts in general.

   - Catalina installs the winches broken down (the main housing is
   removed) - winch orientation is not a major concern.
   - I should be able to unbolt the winch from the backing plate.  Warren
   said that IF (in the unlikely event ) the winch were installed with a
   backing plate, washers and nuts after backing the bolt out a quarter turn,
   it would NOT come out any more - but this is not likely - the bolt should
   come right out of the threaded backing plate.
   - He recommended reinstalling the winch casting using 3M 5200 or 4200
   around the bolt holes only.
   - He informed me of a product "Antibond 2015" which can turn a 5200
   'permanent' bond into weak silicone.  I had not heard of it ... but if I
   have difficulty in removing the winch - this would be a solution.
   - I should see if I can re position the winch casting - turning it 180
   degrees - so this should not happen again.
   - After the Catalina 22 - what was the Second Boat produced by
   Catalina?  (Answer - Catalina 27).
   - What was the Third Boat Produced?  (Answer - Catalina 30)
   - What is the most produced boat after the Catalina 22? (Answer -
   Catalina 27)

Good to have a real resource at the plant who is willing and able to solve
problems and who knows our boats inside and out!

Thanks to all who have helped on this issue.

Tom Grass
Bucket List
2008 Catalina 320 MK II