[C320-list] Cockpit drain question

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Sat Aug 3 18:59:23 PDT 2019

On our 2001 model, these drains are run such that the seem to stay clear.  We've really never seen them function out sailing since we've yet to take enough sea or rain water in the cockpit while sailing heeled to have it pool in the corners, but they do seem like they would drain slowly enough to help.  Most likely if you were sailing in heavy rain they would keep the corners from collecting much water with moderate heel angle.  Getting a wave dumped into the cockpit isn't what these would be useful for. The walkout transom would be where all that water would really have to exit.  (Or nicely deposited in the aft cabin if you didn't close the escape hatch and windows.  :) )

Ours have the "T" out the transom also and it works well and does not leave any standing water in the lines since both port and starboard drain lines are run uphill from this "T".

Since the Propane thruhull vent drain frequently ends up with a water block because of the angle that thruhull is installed at, we routed the propane drain to "T" into the port side scupper drain line instead.  That way the line is always clear to vent propane and won't have a water block.  Mostly that propane drain as installed by the factory was only good for keeping water from pooling in the bottom, not reliably venting propane gas.  We reused the original Propane thru-hull as our A/C discharge instead.

My main complaint with the corner scuppers is that the fitting used is a mushroom style and collects lots of dirt and debris around the scupper.  If I were motivated, I'd replace it with one that was flat and flush fitting so it didn't always look scummy.

-Jeff Hare
#809 Woodbine II