[C320-list] Rudder diagram?

Joe Geiger joe.geiger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 15:45:16 PDT 2019

I looked in the manuals for the C320 but I can’t seem to find a diagram of the rudder, rudder post, bearings and rudder stuffing box. I am trying to understand the parts so I can make repairs but have had no luck.

I removed the 3 bolts at the top of the fiberglass rudder tube in the lazaret and thought I could insert some plastic milk jug strips in between the rudder post and the fiberglass rudder tube as a temporary fix for my banging rudder but found it was completely sealed and glassed to the rudder tube.  Is the only way to access it to drop the rudder?

I also noticed that tightening those 3 screws made the the wheel harder to turn. Now I’m afraid it may be too tight and making the auto pilot work harder. Is there a specific setting I should torque those bolts to? Tightening those bolts did not solve my banging issue.

I tried calling Catalina to speak with someone there about it but have not had much luck getting a return call. If anyone has a diagram of the rudder assembly I would really appreciate taking a look at it.

Thanks,

Joe
--
Joe Geiger