[C320-list] How Often to Repaint Hull

Joe Geiger joe.geiger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 09:03:18 PDT 2019

I have traditionally lightly sanded and then re-applied a fresh coat of Pettit Hydrocoat every year to my previous boat (a C25) after I stripped and recoated the bottom myself with barrier coat and 2 coats of bottom paint.  I swore I’d never re-do it myself again.

We got Vega last fall and the bottom is in need of refinishing.  Loose paint comes off in sheets when rolling on a new coat. I sanded it as much as I could but it really needs to be taken down and recoated. I am considering 2 options:

1) One of my friends put Coppercoat (www.coppercoatusa.com) on the bottom of his boat that will supposedly last for 10+ years.   It’s not maintenance free… He has to hire a diver 3 or 4 times a season to wipe it down.  The copper keeps the barnacles off but not the slime.  He also wipes it down before putting it back in the water in the spring. I have to say the idea of not donning my Tyvek suit, respirator and hours of sanding every year or two is very appealing. It’s expensive but if it really lasts for 10+ years it only cost a little more than doing it myself every year or two.  My back, knees and shoulders will also be much happier.

2) If I don’t go the Coppercoat route then I’ll do what David and Troy did.

I was also reading in Don Casey’s Sailboat Maintenance book that new boats should not have barrier coat because applying it would require the bottom gelcoat to be scuffed up thereby voiding the warranty of the vessel.  That may explain why those new boats didn’t have it.

Joe
--
Joe Geiger
Vega #722