[C320-list] Fuse help for ProMariner

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 21 10:36:35 PDT 2019

I installed a Pronautic Promariner 1240p charger (40 amp output) last year.  I installed Blue Sea battery terminal fuse blocks (MRBF) on each positive battery terminal and 50 amp Blue Sea marine-rated battery terminal fuses on each (10 amps higher than the charger output per the manual).
Dave Hupe1994 Cat 320 (#32)Holland, MI

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 8:55 PM, Leonard Hooks<lehooks at gmail.com> wrote:   If you have a Promariner 1240 or similar putting out 40 amps, what type and size fuse are you using in-line near the batteries.?

When we bought our 320 four months ago it came with FNM time-delay 30 amp fuses going into my 4D’s from a Promariner 1240 charger. I had a marina electrical problem soon after that blew both fuses and cost me one battery. I could only find 30 amp in town so I replaced them and then failed to continue the search. Everything did fine for 3 months.

Now in hot August, after a power loss that required both batteries needing a substantial boost, the fuses keep blowing if left for a long recharge.  I can keep them from blowing if I just run the charger for 15-20 minutes at a time.

I have determined that Cooper Ind. does not make a 50 amp in the same size that fits my fuse holder.  Maybe the installer of my charger, which is only about 2-3 years old, used the wrong size fuse holder and I will need to replace the fuse holder with a different type.
But what type?

If someone can shed some light on what type of fuse would be best, it will be appreciated.

Leonard Hooks
sdg
SV Revelation