[C320-list] Main Winch Teardown

Tom Grass tgrass462 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 12:49:44 PDT 2019

Thanks for the responses to my question.  Here is the result for our 2008
320 MK II (#1135).  After talking to Catalina - I made certain that there
was an aluminum backing plate under the winches - there was no access panel
however.  With this information I was able to REMOVE the starboard main
winch from its 'pocket' in the side of the cockpit.  There was some 3M 4200
holding the winch casting in place.  One out I was able to successfully
remove both gear packages - grease and lubricate paw springs and remount
the winch.  It turned out that the Port Winch was installed 180 degrees
different from the starboard winch ... hence I was able to remove the small
AND large gear cases without removing the casting.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Tom Grass
S/V Bucket List
Catalina 320 MKII # 1135