[C320-list] Temporary hatch cover

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 17:27:00 PST 2019

My new hatch lenses are on the way and I was able to 'convince' all the
appropriate screws to give up their corrosive relationships with the hatch
hinges.    For all those playing at home, the approach that worked for me
was soaking with pb blaster, and then getting the most tightly fitting
driver I could find and using valve grinding compound to provide additional
grit fill to ensure no cam out or stripping of the screw heads and then
putting the driver in an impact driver and pulling the trigger.  Worked
flawlessly on every screw.   Fiddling around with a screwdriver or other
tool felt like a recipe for stripping the screws.   There is a risk of
shearing the screws, there are plenty of horror stories out there on the
forums, so ...your mileage will vary.

Anyhow, I need to bring the hatches home to the workshop to do this job
right and comfortably.   The boat isn’t covered and I need to figure out a
good secure way to cover the hatch holes while I work on the hatch lids.
I think an approach that should work is to thru bolt a piece of plywood
that covers the hole to a length of 2x4 on the inside that acts as a toggle
bolt to hold the plywood down to the hatch rim.   I think a plastic bag
over the plywood and maybe some sort of temporary sealant around the hatch
rim would work.  The bag will be open underneath so the bolt can be
attached to the 2x4 and tightened from inside the boat.   Wondering if
anyone has a simpler but similarly secure and cheap solution?

Troy Dunn
S/V Wonky Dog
Hull#514