[C320-list] Battery

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 05:17:38 PST 2019

Jeff-

You would probably have to provide a lot more information in order to give
you a correct answer.    Here is some general info you may already know
that might help you decide how to proceed.  If a battery lasted only 3
years on my boat I would be upset, but I go to significant effort to ensure
the batteries are well cared for since they are a fairly expensive
"consumable" on the boat.     Scroll to last paragraph for my recco on
battery if you are already a battery expert.

A decent FLA battery that was designed to be cycled at all will generally
last you between 3 and 7 years depending on how you use them.
A *true* deep cycle FLA battery should get you to the upper end of that
number (assuming no abuse), generally cost *less*, but will be difficult to
find in a 4D and require some reconfiguration if for instance you wanted to
changed to Trojan golf cart batteries. (not on your to do list I know).
FLA batteries are generally "more forgiving" of abuse than AGMs.
Abuse to batteries on a sailboat usually comes in a few common varieties.
1. Consistently cycling the battery below 50% state of charge. (an amp
counter properly configured and maintained [easier said than done] can help
avoid this.  a true smart gauge is probably better [almost bullet proof])
2. Consistently failing to achieve full charge after a cycle (e.g. cycling
between 50% and 80% SOC for days on end)
3. Charging at too high a voltage (this is less common but can happen)
4. Loss of electrolyte (aka battery acid)

Battery capacity (in amp hours) will degrade over time for all the
traditional battery types no matter how much you baby the battery.   Unless
you know the actual SOC (or at least have an accurate guess based on
counting amp hours used/topped up)  The effects of making the above
mistakes even just a few times have a compounding effect over time.    This
is generally because as owners we like to think that the capacity of OUR
batteries has not changed over time (denial and all that).   So...as they
ultimately lose capacity over time...the abuse becomes an accelerating
downward spiral.

If all of the above has already been factored into your thought process,
then East Penn makes an ok product for the money IF your choice is a dual
purpose FLA battery in a 4D case.   I am currently getting ready to replace
2 of these dual purpose batteries and they were bought in 2012.  The
battery I use all the time for the house is on its last legs.  The backup
battery specific gravity is still perfect.   I've been plotting my upgrade
for almost a year now.   It won't look anything like I originally thought.
It won't be cheap either.

One last thought.... bring jumper cables!

Troy Dunn
S/V Wonky Dog
Hull #514