[C320-list] Temporary hatch cover

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 06:28:04 PST 2019

Christian-

A few minor issues have surfaced and I'm wondering how you handled them.

Issue number one is that there is a gap/seam (i.e. the frame is extruded,
bent to shape, but not welded at the seam) in the hatch lid frame between
the hinge screws that was sealed with either butyl tape or caulk.  I was
wondering how you got that sealed while leaving a proper gap size.  I
noticed however in your pictures that you brought the hinges home too.
So...I'm guessing the answer is screw the frame into the hinge to ensure
the gap stays the right size prior to beginning the lens install.  I wasn't
looking forward to removing the hinges from the hatch opening frame and
boat...hopefully those screws cooperate??

Issue number two is bit harder to describe.   With the hatch lens dry
fitted to the frame with the gasket in place, the lens appears to be at the
proper height.   The lens rests almost entirely on the gasket however and
it doesn't appear to me that the two step process for installing the lens
will work.   What I've seen most folks do is lay in a bead of caulk around
the metal side and then lay the lens on top of that bead.  Then after that
cures they go back and fill the channel between the lens and the frame that
is left.    I'm not sure this will work based on the amount of overlap of
the lens sealing surface on the gasket.   Did you do this in one step or
two?  Your most excellent picture gallery completely skips over that part
LOL.   If one step, how did you ensure the lens stayed put while sealing.
Putting a thin layer of caulk on the gasket seems like a bad idea...it will
just ooze out onto the lens and be visible.   I'm thinking it will be just
as effective to clamp the lens down and fill the whole gap all at once.
This appears to be how it was done at the factory based on what I saw in
disassembling the old lens.   I just haven't gotten my head around a good
clamping technique that will keep the lens centered while pushing the lens
flush with the frame while at the same time leaving me room to caulk the
entire perimeter.

Thoughts?

As an aside.   "welding" the gasket together with super glue is a bit of an
art form.   For anyone attempting this I would highly recommend practicing
first.   Lay the gasket with the external sealing face down and the lens
sealing face up.  Cut the gasket at 90 degrees with a sharp razor blade and
a downward push (not slicing action as this will tend to give you curvy
edges)   Use a very sparing amount of super glue on the edges of the
gasket.  Any squeeze out will make the gasket less flexible and therefore
less likely to seal at that seam.   The best weld will have no squeeze out.
   The gasket that ships from CD will have plenty of extra for practice.  I
would recommend two or three practice runs with short bits of gasket after
measuring to ensure you have plenty of length.

Troy