[C320-list] Propeller Shaft

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 17:03:42 PST 2019

Jeff H

You lost me at shaft log... is that a common thing to replace?  It would
seem to me that unless there is a visible crack or something in the log,
it's not a wear item.  I suppose if your shaft is so far out of alignment
that load induced shaft whip is actually striking the log maybe that's the
thing?.   I can't even imagine how horrifying that must sound when you are
running in heavy seas and hoping to make it to safe harbor.  “What was
that?”  “Oh no worries just the prop shaft trying to rip a hole in the
shaft log...don't worry, we should make it to port before that happens....”

Hoping to push this whole propshaft, bearing, etc. project out another year
or so but it is coming.  I have to admit I get a kick out of folks that ooo
and aww at the bronze prop shaft.

On the topic of crevice corrosion, our dockmates lost propulsion last year
when their shaft broke inside the stuffing box.  They dove the prop and
couldn’t solve the mystery until they got the boat hauled.  They are very
lucky they didn’t lose the Gori (sp?) prop.   Not a cheap prop.  I guess
the stuffing held the back half of the shaft in place on the ride home.