[C320-list] Balmar MC-614 question

danny jensen danny at jensenshouse.com
Sun Feb 24 07:13:04 PST 2019

Scott,
What a big project. Congratulations.

RE the Balmar 614

   1. I used the BSS 12v leds.  I'm running Aux1 pin 16 and Dash 17 to the
   panel. Here is a picture
   https://c320.org/mediagallery/popup.php?s=20131126200212892&sort=0
   2. I ended disabling the buzzer. I would highly recommend you wire a
   switch between pin 5 and pin 6. This is small engine mode (SME)and will
   reduce alternator output to about 30-40amp. If your not in a hurry to
   charge your thirsty depleted batteries, this setting is good. In fact, I
   just leave SME on unless I'm at anchor and need a fast charge. Mostly my
   lead acid batteries are charging about 30A anyway. My next project is
   adding a 180ah bank of LifePO4 batteries I'm working on now. It is a fun
   project but a bit dangerous! LFP batteries will burn out an 100A alternator
   so the SME mode will be a good thing. I'm going to charge the LFP
   3. Reminder ! make sure your run a wire from pin 9 Pos sense directly to
   your battery terminal. I didn't do this and I'm needed to do this.

Danny