[C320-list] Water in the Bilge

Michael Leschisin mleschisin at imagestudios.com
Thu Jan 24 14:43:31 PST 2019

For anyone who’s willing to provide some feedback,

I’m wondering how much water is normal to find in the bilge following a good rainstorm.  My wife and I purchased our 320 a little over a year ago and I typically find about a pint or two of water in the bilge after a healthy rainstorm.  I’m guessing this is normal and coming in via the mast and compression post since there seems to be a drain hole in the bilge just under the compression post base near where the mast and radar wiring exits the post.

Earlier this week I went up to the boat, which is on the hard for the winter, and much to my horror, found about a quart and a half of frozen water in the front of the three bilge compartments. (But only in the forward compartment)  Fortunately, the water floated above the -100 antifreeze I had in the bilge before it froze, so none of the keel bolts or the pump were affected, but scary none the less.  We had a fair amount of rain this fall and even in early January, but this seems like a lot of water, especially for a boat that is under a winter cover with no way for water to hit the decks, cockpit, port lights, hatches, etc.

I’m wondering if this amount is a normal compilation of this season’s rainfall or if I need to trouble shoot some other problem.

Thanks for the help,

Michael Leschisin
#995, Wild Blue Yonder
Menominee, MI