[C320-list] Water in the Bilge

Bob Hoyt rehoyt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 15:14:27 PST 2019

I don’t see any after a rain storm but want to hear from others
Bob Hoyt
Ikigai
Pensacola Fl

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 4:43 PM Michael Leschisin <
mleschisin at imagestudios.com> wrote:

> For anyone who’s willing to provide some feedback,
>
> I’m wondering how much water is normal to find in the bilge following a
> good rainstorm.  My wife and I purchased our 320 a little over a year ago
> and I typically find about a pint or two of water in the bilge after a
> healthy rainstorm.  I’m guessing this is normal and coming in via the mast
> and compression post since there seems to be a drain hole in the bilge just
> under the compression post base near where the mast and radar wiring exits
> the post.
>
> Earlier this week I went up to the boat, which is on the hard for the
> winter, and much to my horror, found about a quart and a half of frozen
> water in the front of the three bilge compartments. (But only in the
> forward compartment)  Fortunately, the water floated above the -100
> antifreeze I had in the bilge before it froze, so none of the keel bolts or
> the pump were affected, but scary none the less.  We had a fair amount of
> rain this fall and even in early January, but this seems like a lot of
> water, especially for a boat that is under a winter cover with no way for
> water to hit the decks, cockpit, port lights, hatches, etc.
>
> I’m wondering if this amount is a normal compilation of this season’s
> rainfall or if I need to trouble shoot some other problem.
>

> Thanks for the help,
>

> Michael Leschisin
> #995, Wild Blue Yonder
> Menominee, MI
>
> --

*Robert (Bob) Hoyt MD FACP*

*CAPT (Ret) USN*

*Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Internal Medicine*

*Virginia Commonwealth University*

*Richmond, VA*

*Adjunct Associate Professor, College of Allied Health Professions*

*University of Nebraska Medical Center*

*Omaha, NE*

*Diplomate, Clinical Informatics*

InformaticsEducation.org  <http://InformaticsEducation.org>