[C320-list] Metal plates under rope clutches?

David Veeneman davidv at veeneman.com
Sun Jul 21 09:27:53 PDT 2019

I just added a dual rope clutch to the starboard side of my cockpit and anchored it to the aluminum plate that runs under the boss (the raised platform) for the rope clutches. Here’s my question: Do these plates extend past the inner edges of bosses toward the companionway?

And here is why I ask: My traveler’s cam cleats are mounted on the traveler itself. As a result, my current dodger has a couple of rather clumsy flaps to allow one to reach through and adjust the traveler. I am planning to re-canvas the dodger, and I want to eliminate those flaps. To do that, I’ll need to relocate the traveler’s cam cleats to a spot inside the dodger, and I’d like to mount them to the inside of my rope clutches on each side.

If the aluminum plates for the rope clutches extend beyond the bosses toward the companionway, then I can tap threads in them for the new cam cleats. So, does anyone know if that’s the case? If so, about how far do they extend? Thanks in advance for your help.

--
David Veeneman
Dana Point, CA