[C320-list] Lightning Proetection

jackbrennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 26 09:43:23 PDT 2019

My 32 has a thick cable from the mast to the keel. An external lead keel acts as a wonderful grounding plate. Still ..

Some say proper grounding will attract lightning, even though it may lessen the damage if a bolt hits. Side flashes are possible in any event.

My opinion: It's random. Accept it as a risk if living and sailing. If it's your time, it's your time.

While I was traveling in Europe recently, a series of bad thunderstorms hit Tampa Bay. A sailboat moored in Boca Ciega Bay was hit and started burning. A guy at Clearwater Beach was killed while packing up.

A sailboat eight slips up from me was also hit. His boat and mine were plugged in. No damage to mine. I heard he lost some electronics.

Forty years ago, I got caught in a bad storm in the Gulfstream. I had hits all around me, but nothing touched my 19-foot sailboat.
Ten years ago, a bolt struck 50 yards away while I was anchoring. The chain was in my hand.  I felt nothing, but lost some electronics.
All in all, I think I'm in more danger riding my bike on the street.
A good bit of advice is to put your portable electronics in the stove. They won't get fried because they are surrounded by metal.

Jack  Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320, no. 528
Tierra Verde, Fl
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 9:08 PM, John Meyers<jcmeyers7 at gmail.com> wrote:   I hope this subject isn't personal in an unfortunate way for anyone......

Is the 320 in anyway protected from lightning such as taking the lightning
from the mast to the keel? Or is the boat insulated enough by the
fiberglass as to not give lightning a way to travel into the cabin?

I have heard, we should attached jumper cables to the shrouds and drag the
other ends in the water?  I wonder if do this will attract lightning by
giving lightning an "easy" path.

Of course, with lightning nothing is for sure either good or bad.

John Meyers
Muskegon, Mi
Wind Chime #406