[C320-list] 12 volt fans

Michael Ferguson coralman at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 30 09:33:18 PDT 2019

Do you know the amperage draw. Michael

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 10:33 AM, Jack Brennan<jackbrennan at bellsouth.net> wrote:   For you budget-conscious sailors, I recently came across a decent find on Amazon.

I bought two 12 volt fans for $15 each that are of the same quality as the $60 to $120 fans you find at West Marine. Probably not a surprise, as all of these are made at some obscure Asian factory and sold to different retailers.

Anyhow, here is a link. And no, I don’t have any connection to the seller.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GPY34Y8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are adjustable with 12-volt plugs. They are powerful enough that if you set one on a table, it will move backwards. Fairly quiet, too.

What I did was install 12-volt sockets around the boat – two in the aft cabin, one in the V berth, one in the main cabin – that were spliced into the cabin light circuit. These fans draw less than half an amp, so there are no concerns about drawing too many amps.

Then I positioned Velcro strips in the places where I want to use the fans. I stuck the Velcro on the wooden wall trim in the cabins so they will blow directly on the person sleeping. The cabin Velcro is near the starboard sink for good range around the cabin.

I like that I can move the two around and not have five or six fans permanently positioned in various parts of the boat. (I live in Florida …)

I’ve only had them a few weeks, so I can’t attest to longevity. But they look well-made and sturdy.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320, no. 528
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay