[C320-list] Dutchman versus stack pack?

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Tue Jun 25 15:13:06 PDT 2019

I also use the autopilot to keep the boat head to wind. I find that with
the Dutchman system the sail pretty much flakes itself on the way down
when I release the halyard, and all I have to do when I go forward is to
tidy it up a bit before putting the sail ties on. I think it probably
helps that I have a full batten main. Getting it adjusted properly isn't
that hard if you read the directions.

BTW, when I bought Surprise she had a Dutchman system with two
monofilament lines. When I bought a new main the sailmaker talked me
into a three line system, saying that is what was consistent with
Dutchman's guidelines and my sail size. The three line system is
marginally more helpful for helping the sail flake itself on the way
down and for keeping it on the boom while waiting to add sail ties.

Scott Thompson

--
Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653