[C320-list] Recommendations on whisker poles?

Jeff Smith jeffreyssmith at live.com
Tue Jun 25 17:48:13 PDT 2019

I have not used a whisker pole on my 320 but I have used them several times on other boats when racing. They can make a dramatic difference in light air, especially when the head sail is just flapping around. It helps to have two people to deploy the pole if you are not going to furl the headsail, such as when racing. However, if you are just cruising, I would furl the headsail. Attach the pole, to include running the jib sheets to the pole, and then unfurl the jib.

On my 320, I have a pad eye on the front of the mast which is where I would attach it. With my Dutchman system removed, I can attach the topping lift to the pole to hold it horizontal to the water. By the way, I have mine tied to the lifelines, which is probably not ideal. I am considering buying stanchion blocks that attach to the stanchion and mount the pole on the deck.

Jeff
'94, #121, Sailmates