[C320-list] Recommendations on whisker poles?

Stephen Cox scox at timmin.com
Wed Jun 26 00:10:46 PDT 2019

> Any idea what the "recommended length" is for the 320s? Am
> also using a 135 genny.

I recommend you wander around the Forespar web site as they have all sorts of
useful information about whisker poles.  The relevant bit here is:

"Whisker poles should be 100% of the foot of whichever headsail is being
flown. Measure from the tack to the clew and the whisker pole should be this
length."

FWIW I have a fixed length whisker pole and it is stored vertically on a track
on the mast.  I only cruise so am not worried about any miniscule loss in
speed due to the aerodynamic drag of the pole on the mast when not in use.  My
choices were guided by:

1.  I was concerned about the extra weight of an adjustable length pole and
the reliance on the clamping mechanism or line to hold in place if caught out
in a blow.

2.  I chose stored up the mast as I consider it to be more manageable and
hence safer as it is always fastened to the boat at one end.  I don't have to
bend over to fetch the pole or put it away and it can be deployed or retrieved
from the mast rather than having to work at the gunwale - all considerations
in any sort of seas.  Finally, it is not taking up space or offering a trip
hazard on the deck.

Regards,

Stephen Cox
Tegwen #1141