[C320-list] Solar panels on bimini

John morrison sail-ability at sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 5 13:19:44 PST 2019

I have a 180W panel  mounted on dinghy davits connected to a Blue Sky,(2512iX) MMPT( which is the standard these days)  controller. I have had it for 5 years now and it keeps the batteries fully topped up when we are on the hook, unless we get a few cloudy days and then the batteries will start to draw down. The largest consumer on the boat is the fridge.
Have you done an assessment of your daily amp/hr requirements? This is the first thing to be done to determine the optimum size of panels to mount. 3 panels seems a lot to me, unless you have very thirsty consumers hooked up to an inverter, as an example.