[C320-list] Solar panels on bimini

Stephen Cox scox at timmin.com
Tue Mar 5 14:55:06 PST 2019

> However, I've been warned that I shouldn't put different
> sized panels in series -- that the power will be limited by
> the smallest panel if I do
> -- and that it's not a good idea to wire panels in series in
> any case because a shadow on one panel reduces the output of
> the other two as well.

Putting them in series will in deed only pass as much current as the smallest
can provide at any given time and shadow on any panel will effect the total
throughput in the same manner.

> These same sources suggest that a
> better way to do it is to wire a separate charging circuit
> for each panel, meaning three MPPT controllers and three
> cables running up the backstay to the bimini. I'd rather keep
> it simpler. Does anyone have any thoughts about the best
> approach here?

There is a possibility that three controllers would trip over each other when
trying to work out if the battery is charged and hence you not get as good a
charge rate as you might expect.  Others may care to comment on that.

Certainly I would go for three equal sized panels and just the one controller
to keep it simple if I was doing it.

Regards,

Stephen Cox
Tegwen #1141