[C320-list] Refrig

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 16:34:17 PDT 2019

Be careful on those low current draw refrigerators.   Last time I checked
the thermodynamic laws that govern the efficiency of the compressor and
condenser hasn't changed.   What you generally end up with is a
refrigerator taking twice as long to get your beer cold. What you actually
care about is total amp hours consumed and that is going to be much more
heavily weighted by the amount of insulation you have and by the habits of
the captain and crew.   There are many many great techniques that can be
employed to minimize the duty cycle.  A simple google search or search on
cruiser forums will yield many great ways you can obtain incredibly low
duty cycles.   The ones I think are the best are: Freeze food and water the
day before a long cruise.  Carrying extra frozen jugs of water in the very
bottom of the fridge.  Never load warm items into the fridge, unless it is
beer or wine of course.  Use an insulating material as a blanket.   Plug
the drain to prevent cold air escaping to the bilge.   Bump the thermostat
to its coldest setting when the batteries are charging via alternator or
shore power then bump it back to 3 when running off the house bank.
(Warning this technique is not recommended for forgetful sailors...)

Troy Dunn
Hull#514